Monday, September 23, 2013

Nuptial Energy

Phew.  Made it through two consecutive wedding weekends.  That's a whole lot of knot-tying.  Both ceremonies were incredible in their own right.  I was truly honored to be part of each one.  In fact I would argue there is no greater honor.  Who needs gold medals and Pulitzer Prizes?  I don't.  I was in weddings supporting my friends.  That has way more cache in society.

(Sidebar:  Coming down off a wedding high is brutal.  You crash and you crash hard.  I had to exercise today just to get some endorphins going.  You're engulfed in a celebratory bubble with people you love for a whole day.  The next day you wake up, reflect, and get upset that it's not still happening.  Blower.  Also, what am I gonna do not that I don't have weddings for a month?  I got so used to having my calendar filled.  Need to find a new high.  Carry on.)

I attended these weddings as a single man.  Obvi.  I learned something these past two weeks while mixing it up in wedding circles sans lover.  First, it is nice to just cut loose and not give a fuck about anything on the dance floor or at the bar.  You don't have to worry about if anyone else is having a good time.  I was having a good time.  Hopefully everyone was feeding off of my animalistic swag.

Second, I love giving toasts.  Despite a few butterflies, it's awesome waxing poetic into those microphones.

Third, and most importantly, when I do attend a wedding with a date, she is going to have to dance.  New rule:  you must dance.  You also must not care what I look like when I'm doing it.  Because I don't care.  You shouldn't either.  The whole spirit of the ceremony is contained in that little area where everybody goes buck wild.  Embrace it.  I do, and it's the best part of the evening.  Don't cut my legs out from under me. After all, I am the life of the party.   Take this picture as evidence.

Yes, that's the garter around my head.

One caveat here:  it's okay if you're not much of a dancer.  If you don't prefer to dance, I suppose I can live with that.  You just have to be okay with me dancing and you sitting by yourself for most of the night.  I understand that some people just aren't into that sort of thing.  I ask that you respect my wishes to make a fool of myself/impress everybody with my killer moves.

Either way I need someone that accepts my desire to cut the rug at a joyous celebration such as a wedding.  Sure, there are Wedding Crasher situations where you can meet some singles and stir it up a bit.  A predetermined date needs to appreciate wedding dancing.  That's just the way it is.

So if you're following I have exactly two stipulations for the next woman I date:
1) I need to be able to drink alcohol with you and not have it turn sloppy and angry
2) You need to dance and/or let me dance at weddings

Where will I ever find such a creature?

No comments:

Post a Comment