Monday, July 8, 2013

RomCom Review: Crazy, Stupid Love

This is perfect.  I've decided this is as good a forum as any to combine my borderline over-the-top love of movies with dating life commentary.  We all know that most of these "happy ending" romantic comedies are not realistic.  This is will be a great opportunity for me to rant and poke holes in syrupy plot lines.

On Saturday night I was so sapped of energy from being in the sun all day, I decided to stay in instead of making my way downtown (cue Vanessa Carlton song).  I decided to watch Crazy, Stupid Love because I had heard from menfolk that they actually enjoyed the movie.  Also, the title couldn't make anymore sense to me.  You had me at hello.  It was good.  It was entertaining.  What it wasn't was very realistic.  Well, the divorce and the infidelity were realistic.  The tangled webs of love not so much.



After Julianne Moore bangs somebody else, she tells Steve Carrell she wants a divorce.  His world is torn apart, so he gets some get-yourself-back-out-there coaching from undefeated panty-dropper Ryan Gosling.  Meanwhile, Carrell's son is in love with the 17-year-old babysitter who in turn is in love with Steve Carrell.  Kevin Bacon stars as the homewrecker who really likes Julianne Moore.  Oh, and then Ryan Gosling gets tamed by Carrell's oldest daughter, Emma Stone.  But OF COURSE he didn't know it at the time.  It all culminates in a giant confrontational clusterfuck.  What a riot!

I pretty much like everything Steve Carrell does.  That is to say I like him as a comedic actor.  It was funny to pair him with Ryan Gosling, the heartthrob who has thrown down on some dramatic roles before.  Watching him flirt and pick-up girls was like artwork.  I didn't know whether to take notes or swoon.  The dichotomy of his ladies' man to Carrell's domesticated dad is funny to watch.  If Ryan Gosling coached me in the world of picking up girls, I wonder if it would yield any results.

Now, let's get to some things that just aren't going to cut it.  The 17-year-old babysitter in love with Steve Carrell.  Give me a break.  There are enough horny-ass, underdeveloped high school boys to preoccupy yourself with.  Steve Carrell is your dream guy?  All due respect give me a break.  I'm sure 17-year-old babysitters fuck creepy DILFs now and then.  I wouldn't exactly consider that love.  The 13-year-old son also "loves" the babysitter.  He constantly lets her know.  All the time.  It's overkill if I've ever seen it.  Like a 13-year-old knows what love is.  I didn't how to manipulate my own equipment at thirteen.  Also, if I've learned anything, over-pursuing never works.  It's not endearing, girls don't eventually smile, and you've dug your own grave. Keep going.  See if you find a girlfriend.

During Carrell's son's valedictorian 8th grade speech (don't ask), the son starts spouting off about how love is bullshit because his parents split and his love interest is frightened he's a stalker.  Carrell interrupts when it starts to get intense and then delivers a little soliloquy of his own about how you have to fight for your "soul mate".  Fight everyday.  His 13-year-old son taught him that.  He professes his love to Julianne Moore and the son again professes his love to the babysitter.  Everyone claps and has a ball.  It's less cute than it is awkward.  The babysitter smiles and laughs and then gives the son naked pictures to jerk-off to.  Where was this babysitter when I was growing up?

Look, the movie is actually enjoyable.  I love rom-coms (hear that ladies?) despite the lack of realistic integrity.  I'm just saying I don't think all of that hullabaloo would happen in the middle of an 8th grade graduation ceremony.  Also, the whole "soul mate" angle did not resonate with me.  I've never had one.  I wouldn't know about the fighter's mentality you have to have to keep the ones you love.  And does that still hold true when they sleep with someone else?  Questions linger.  But I do agree.  Love is crazy.  Love is stupid.  Enjoy the ride.

I would recommend seeing it for those that like these types of movies.  Or for those that like Ryan Gosling.  I actually think he's a really good actor.  If you have DVR or On-Demand you can pause it when he takes his shirt off, girls.  I probably just sold you on it, didn't I?



Rating:  3 Big Dans (out of 5)

No comments:

Post a Comment