Monday, May 6, 2013

Weekend in Review: May 3 - May 5

You'll have to forgive me.  I'm a little emotional after watching the Capitals lose Game 3 of the playoffs in an interesting game at Madison Square Garden.  Sigh.  Series on.

Well it was a birthday celebration weekend that really started on Thursday.  Went to Game 1 of the same playoff series.  It was awesome.  Especially since the Caps won.  Got to watch from a box too!  That was a nice birthday gift.

Friday night I ate pizza and fell asleep.  Pretty exciting.  I must have gotten 10 hours of sleep that night.  I woke up refreshed at 7:30am.  It's the first time ever I've woken up refreshed in the morning anytime before 9am.  I was ready for the day though because that night was going to be the celebration of the Big 3-0.  That's right.  I'm 30 now.  Holy mackerel.  Naturally, I drank so many beers and so many shots I had to have Saturday's events described to me on Sunday.  This is what I know:

I actually started drinking around 6pm at dinner.  Then we got to the bar early to carve out a spot for the crowd.  Then as people trickled in, more beers were ordered and of course almighty birthday shots as well.  There must have been a half dozen of them over the course of the night.  Needless to say, between 6pm and 2am or whatever, I had quite a bit to drink.  But a big thanks to everyone who came out and bought me drinks and monitored me.  I had a ball from what I remember.  And from what I remember at the end of the night, the cab driver, whom we shorted on the bill because we did not have enough cash, said "Just get out."  Yeah.  That kind of evening.

I was also told that I was offered an opportunity for breakfast if I left the bar at the time my ride would have been leaving.  It turns out though my diesel-drinking friends thought best that I stay at the bar and continue to waste away instead of getting a delicious greasy plate of steak and eggs.  Look, I'm not saying I would have remembered breakfast.  But I'm sure staying at the bar didn't make me feel as awesome as breakfast would have.

I was also reminded of how neurotic and repetitive I get when I'm drunk.  Apparently, I griped to many different people many different times about the same thing.  Be it a woman or my job or what have you.  I made sure to hammer it home over and over.  It's been like that for me ever since I started drinking.  Old habits die hard even when you reach a new decade.  Anyhow, I survived and I had a ball.  Now the shock of turning 30 is behind me.  I'm officially there.  Now it's time to just keep livin'.

This post is not terribly exciting in terms of the dating scene, but I will say that since Wednesday (my actual birthday) I have reflected and come to a conclusion on a few things.  While I may still go out and get drunk and I haven't quite reached my full level of maturation, it is time to approach life with a bit more of an aim.  There needs to be a bit of a plan and a bit of a direction.  I'm not one to have everything mapped out all the time.  I should at least have some semblance of a path to walk down though.  The same holds true in the dating scene.  I've done the same thing for so long with women, and it is clearly not working out.  Sure, I was in a relationship for 2.5 years.  I wouldn't call it the healthiest of situations overall.  I learned a lot from it and wouldn't trade it.  I just think my cookie-cutter approach needs to be amended.  Come on, I'm a legit adult now.  It is time to make some adult decisions.  That includes who I choose to spend my time with.  I'm not crazy here, am I?  It's time to branch out and try new things.  It's time to be more open-minded and step up to the plate and be a man.  Or something like that.  I'm working hard at it right now.  I think this new mentality will pay dividends.  I feel good about it.

I know, I know.  Really, Dan?  You discovered all this about yourself in four days?  Believe me when I tell you yes.  Hey, I'm not a young man anymore.  I'm moving on to some 30 year old shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment