Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend in Review: Finding Love in the Club?

Don't get too jubilant.  I didn't actually find love in the club.  But going to the club was about the only exciting thing I did this weekend.

I use the term club loosely.  I went to Echostage on Friday night to see what all the fuss was about.  Plus, I rolled VIP with some people.  It's the only way to go.  I have to say it was a very impressive place.  There is a ton of bar space and it was well-staffed.  No one had to wait too long for a drink.  The bathrooms are huge so you didn't have to wait.  That's actually a huge deal.  Long bathroom lines are the worst.  The VIP section was bottle service all the way.  Leather couches for comfort.  Full blown baller status type shit.  I certainly felt big time.  The light system for the stage was unreal.  I had never seen anything like it anywhere I have ever been.  The music itself doesn't do much for me (it was an EDM show), but I could certainly admire what the light guy was doing.  I was very impressed with Echostage as an overall venue.  It really is a good spot to go see a show.  Based on its location, you wouldn't think that.  It's off the beaten path in Northeast D.C. and not exactly in an area you would go and hang out.  Once you get there though, it really is a nice, big place with a lot of security and staff to help the operation run smoothly.  I wish the best of luck to my friends that work there and that run the place.  I think it's going to have continued success.

This turned into a concert review.  Back to the point of the post.  There are a few things to remember about this particular venue.  First, it is 18 and up.  That adds a bit of an "amateur hour" factor into your experience there.  Second, it appears that a lot of people are enjoying a lot of different substances.  I'm not saying anything, I'm just sayin'.  These are important to remember if some blond girl starts chatting you up in the VIP section.  I think both of the aforementioned points were in play as this girl talked to me while the DJs were spinning.  Instantly, I was like "I'm at least a decade older than this girl."  Yes, I realize 18 is still legal or whatever the rationale is.  That's fine.  That doesn't change the fact that this girl's veins were coursing with chemicals released by expensive happy pills.  That's the vibe I got anyway.  And then when her whole crew showed up with holes cut in their jeans, it further convinced me that I was on to something.  Had I been drunker I may not have cared as much about the circumstances.  I was set up.  All I had to do was spike the ball.  Still, I couldn't bring myself to carry on chatting this girl up.  Who knows what would have happened later that night?  I could have woken up in an ice bath without one of my kidneys.

So that's the point.  Meeting someone at a bar is one thing.  As difficult as that is sometimes, it is still fairly common practice to bring someone home after a bunch of beers.  A concert venue or a legit dance club is a whole different animal.  Age becomes a factor and so does the overdose factor.  Pleasure centers are running full throttle.  There's a serious wild cards in play here.  I'm not saying it's the worst way to meet a hookup.  I just certainly don't think you are going to meet your husband or wife there.  I'm sure people do.  As employees.  Hell, maybe even general concert goers do.  I just don't think I could.  Plus, that music doesn't get me as jazzed up as everybody else in there.  I need some legit rock or pop or something to really set the mood.  Hey, it was fun.  But I'll leave the club love-making to Usher.

No comments:

Post a Comment